Tuesday, March 25, 2014

Raw Lemon Tart

As I mentioned in my last post, I've been on a detox cleanse and finished up last Thursday, so I was excited to try some new recipes post-cleanse.  I'm allergic to gluten and dairy, my digestion can't handle it.  I will still eat one or the other on occasion but I get super bloated, break out in rashes, have aches, fatigue and foggy thinking.  It's just not worth it most of the time.  I did the Master Cleanse to hit the restart button on my digestive system and rid myself of the residual effects of my food allergies and let me tell you, it feels so good to have my skin cleared up, no bloat, much more energy and sharper thoughts.  
Now that I'm eating solid food again, I found a lemon tart recipe that I wanted to try and I love how it turned out!  Our Meyer's lemon tree in the back yard needed to be picked so a lemon dessert was the perfect way to utilize the fruit.  I found this recipe on YouTube (Raw Vegan Lemon Tart) but modified it according to personal taste, as I always do.  I taste-test as I go, and adjust a little less of this, a little more of that, etc.  So my final result is exactly what I want.



Here's the recipe!  You can watch the YouTube video above for more detailed instructions, but it's pretty straight forward.  You zap the crust ingredients in the blender and put the dough in a pan, and then you blend the filling ingredients after.  I doubled the recipe for a full pie-sized tart.  It's a really simple recipe, just remember to make the lemon zest before you squeeze the lemons!  

Enjoy!
xx


Raw Lemon Tart

Crust:
1 c. unsweetened shredded coconut
1/2 c. raw almonds
2 Tbsp. raw honey
1 large Medjool date (or 3 smaller ones)
1/4 tsp. sea salt or pink himalayan salt
1 Tbsp. melted coconut oil

Filling:
1 1/2 c. raw cashews, soaked overnight
1/3 c. raw honey
1/3 c. fresh squeezed lemon juice
1 vanilla bean
2 Tbsp. lemon zest
1/4 c. filtered spring water
1/4 c. melted coconut oil
1/4 tsp. sea salt or pink himalayan salt
1/4 tsp. nutritional yeast

Blend the filling for as long as it takes to have a super creamy texture!

Freeze the tart for an hour or so to set it before eating.  Store in freezer or fridge.


No comments:

Post a Comment