Thursday, August 21, 2014

The Basics.


I love how you can take simple pieces like a white button up shirt and denim shorts and depending on what they're accessorized with, I could be ready for anything from a night out on the town to a day on the beach!  

It's funny how much beauty can be found in my own front yard... literally.  My husband and I walked out our front door and instead of driving anywhere he started snapping pictures in our own neighborhood.   Sometimes I get so distracted missing the ocean and my close friends and family that I forget to appreciate the hidden gems in the place I'm in.  The same can be said about people.  Just as it takes a disciplined eye to spot the wonders in a small town, it takes a strategic mind to notice the gold in the lives of people around them and not be distracted by the negative behavior when people are not acting out the best that's inside them.  And I know from personal experience that when someone tells me all the things I'm doing wrong and how terrible I'm acting, I either become defensive, discouraged, or justify my actions because I feel so attacked.  The eye-opening and life-changing moments I've had are from those who see my mess, yet choose to point out who I really am and all the amazing qualities inside me when I'm at my worst.  Then I'm able to see clearly and focus on walking out who I truly am, and it is so freeing.  The pain and mess will always be like a blaring horn in our faces, commanding attention.  But it takes practice and a disciplined eye to choose not to react but to reach out, crack open the treasure chest of someone's heart, and pull out a glistening gem to remind them of the riches lying within.

Have a wonderful week, thanks for reading!
xx

Photos by Joey Brooks

Shorts: American Eagle Outfitters (similar here)
Sandals: Ivy Kirzhner
Clutch: Rebecca Minkoff
Watch: Diesel




No comments:

Post a Comment